Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome DIVA fans! This is a *new* DIVA board as of Dec. 27, 2017, which is when DIVA was converted to Zetaboards web host.... The navigation panel is below the banner (or at the top for some themes) along with FAQs about the board. I am slowly making changes, corrections (due to incompatible codes) and additions so please keep coming back.... I am keeping this board for fans.... Celebrating 10 YEARS of DIVA.... Robin Strasser is currently represented by Mavrick Artists ... Her agent is Bobby Moses.... On Twitter, Strasser tells fans she has moved from NYC to Bell Canyon, CA but will remain bi-coastal....Prospect Park Lawsuit Dismissed... ABC Regains Rights to Canceled OLTL and AMC... A We LOVE Soaps special series: READ the story of AW's Steve, Rachel and Alice... The DIVA Board Salutes ROBIN STRASSER for her 50 YEARS in Daytime.... Strasser on 1.19.15: If being truthful means loss of friends or opp to spin I'll keep telling it straight-NO net-this is how birds fly:)... DIVA board GUESTS are invited to sign in: "GUESTBOOK"... Read latest "FAN TALK interview"... Also, READ fan fictions "Make It Real" (Dorian/Ray), "The World They Never Saw" (Dorian, Addie and Melinda fan fiction) and "Unsavory Alliances" (Herb, Dorian, Mel).
Welcome to Diva. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. After you register sign the board's guestbook.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Jacqueline Courtney; Alice Frame, Another World; Pat Ashley, One Life to Live
Topic Started: Feb 11 2018, 12:22 PM (127 Views)
cher62
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thirty-fifth Installment
Previous: George Reinholt, Steven Frame, Another World; Tony Harris Lord One Live to Live

Posted Image
Jacqueline Courtney
(Alice Frame, Another World); (Pat Ashley, One Life to Live)

"Any letter that she wrote to people recently ended with, 'Stay out of the sun. Wear sunscreen,' " Jacqueline Courtney's daughter, Jennifer Desiderio, told Soap Opera Digest in an interview after her mother's death. Courtney died on December 20, 2010 at 64 from metastatic melanoma. She was well-known to Daytime TV audiences as Alice Frame on Another World and Pat Ashley on One Life to Live. Courtney's Alice and George Reinholt's Steve were one of the most popular couples in soap opera history and a part of a memorable, tortured triangle with Rachel, played by Robin Strasser and later Victoria Wyndham.

Another World - October 8, 1973

Various critics and media writers on a We Love Soaps panel in 2012 selected Steve and Alice as the fifth most popular soap couple of all time.
Quote:

The romance of Steve and Alice, and the triangle with Rachel, helped establish ANOTHER WORLD firmly near the top of the ratings for years. Reinholt and Courtney were two of the biggest stars in Daytime regularly winning magazine polls as fan favorites.

The second wedding of Alice and Steve was ANOTHER WORLD's first hourlong episode. The show finished at No. 1 in the ratings that week which convinced NBC to make AW the first permanent hourlong soap in January 1975.

Courtney was born Sharon Courtney on September 24, 1946 in East Orange, New Jersey. Professionally, she had short stints on The Edge of Night and Our Five Daughters, prior to Alice on AW; she played younger heroine on the NBC soap from the show's debut in May 1964 until July 1975.

In 1975, Courtney and Reinholt were fired supposedly for storyline reasons but there was more to the story behind the scenes. Head writer Harding Lemay was critical of both performers in his memoir, Eight Years in Another World. In an interview for We Love Soaps in 2009, he summarized: "Although I worked very well with Paul [Rauch, executive producer] and we agreed upon certain things, [Alice] was a monotonous role to write because she didn’t have a wide range as an actress. George Reinholt was a very good actor, but he was very difficult, impossible actually." Courtney went on to play Pat Ashley on One Life, where she was reunited with Reinholt, who played Tony Lord (1975-77). In 1979, Robin Strasser joined One Life as Dorian Lord. Courtney left in 1983 when the network fired her before bringing Rauch in as producer.

Courtney returned to AW for the 20th anniversary show in May 1984. She stayed for a year and then in 1989 she returned for the show's 25th anniversary and for Mackenzie Cory's funeral. After a small role as Madame Diane Winston on Loving in 1987, Courtney retired from acting, though she appeared alongside Reinholt on the TV special 50 Years of Soaps: An All-Star Celebration in 1994.

Strasser commented on Courtney in an interview in We Love Soaps after her passing. Strasser met the actress while Courtney was in high school.
Quote:

During the years the show was at it's all time height, and set industry-wide standards, it was due in large part to Jacquie Courtney's indelibly romantic incandescence. Lucky for me...because, as it turned out Rachel was all about shadow and darkness trying to steal Alice's light.

Reinholt also commented on the actress's passing in 2010 (We Love Soaps):
Quote:

.I am shocked and very upset and disturbed. I know death comes to us all but I think she died too young. Much too young. I loved her. Truly. She was wonderful to work with. And I think of her often.

---------------------------------
SOURCE: Soap Opera Digest, January 25, 2011 issue

Posted Image
Robin's comments in SOD.
CLICK on the image to read.

SOURCE: Soap Opera Weekly, January 25, 2011 issue
Posted Image
Robin's comments in Soap Opera Weekly.
CLICK on the image to read.

(Information from various sources including Wikipedia)

Links:
Melanoma Foundaton
50 Greatest Soap Couples: #5 Steve & Alice From ANOTHER WORLD (We Love Soaps, August 29, 2012)
IMDb - Jacqueline Courtney
AW & OLTL Legendary Soap Opera Leading Man George Reinhold Dead at 73 (Michael Fairman - On Air l On Soaps, 2013)
Jacqueline Courtney has passed away (We Love Soaps, 2012)
"George Reinholt Responds to Jacqueline Courtney's Passing" (We Love Soaps, 2010)
Harding Lemay Interview, Part 2 (We Love Soaps, 2009)
Edited by cher62, Feb 12 2018, 11:36 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cher62
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
SOURCE: Melanoma Foundaton
By Jennifer Desiderio

My mother was first diagnosed with malignant melanoma on her right cheek in the fall of 2004. Luckily, the cancer had not spread, and no further treatment was necessary after her surgery at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City.

About to undergo a gall bladder operation in March ’10, a shadow was discovered in my mother’s lungs during routine pre-surgery tests. Unfortunately, it turned out to be the melanoma rearing its ugly head again. As before, it was removed (along with her right upper lobe) at MSKCC and had thankfully not spread. We hoped it would be at least another 5 years before anything resurfaced. However, in August ’10, she began to lose control of her left hand and arm, and the worst news hit: the melanoma had metastasized to the right parietal lobe of her brain, forming five tumors. Three were removed through surgery, and radiation was recommended to follow.

September and October were extremely stressful and frightening for my mother. Having brain tumors really played havoc with her life and even had her questioning her sanity at time. My mother planned to celebrate the end of her radiation treatment by visiting me and my partner in Michigan for 12 days. In addition to the cancer, she had been taking care of my grandmother with dementia 24-7 for the past 4 years…she knew she needed a break and looked forward to a vacation. Regrettably, her doctors had not revealed her true prognosis, that it was unlikely for her to live more than a few months (which is clearly stated on the AIM site…I just didn’t know about it at the time). Right before she flew out, one of her doctors did tell me over the phone and urged me to convince her to spend whatever time she had left with me in Michigan as we had always been EXTREMELY close. My mother was a bit in denial when I broke the news (NOT a position I ever thought I’d be in!), but she agreed. Unfortunately, she took a turn for the worse only a week into her visit, and Hospice was immediately called in. Two months to the day of flying out to Michigan, my mother departed this life, joining in Heaven so many of her beloved relatives and friends who had predeceased her.

My mother truly touched everyone she met. She was known for her beautiful smile, which genuinely lit up a room. She was also routinely recognized for her hearty laugh…though she was quite the giggler, as well! Jacquie had no problem being goofy and vulnerable. So many casually uttered statements immediately sparked a remembered tune, prompting her to burst into song (typically accompanied by me and even my grandmother–it’s a family “trait”). Likewise, my mother’s catalogue of “inside jokes” with friends and family was vast. She lived to make others happy and more comfortable. She was continually seeking that “special something” to brighten a loved one’s day. Even as her own income dwindled, she continued to donate money to various charities. In her last months, donating to melanoma research and education was something she urged everyone to do. No matter her own situation, she always felt there was someone less fortunate. Indeed, Jacquie was generally self-effacing, never believing she was very special…yet to those of us who loved her, she was extraordinary. I, for one, feel beyond blessed to have had her for a mother for 40 wonderful years.
Edited by cher62, Feb 11 2018, 12:26 PM.

cher62
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]

cher62
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]

cher62
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]

READ: FLASHBACK: 'Another World' The Story of Steven, Rachel & Alice (Part 1)

cher62
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]

cher62
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]

cher62
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Co-stars and Scripts · Next Topic »
Add Reply