Red Bloom created by Agnostic Angel of the IF Skin Zone

Since 2006, DIVA has been a message board and online forum for fans of Emmy award-winning actress Robin Strasser. DISCLAIMER: Expressed views, video uploads by the DIVA board administrator represent support for the actress and do not by association or inclusion represent endorsement of projects or shows that feature Ms. Strasser. Posters on this board are free to express whatever they choose as long as Robin Strasser is respected. Lastly, opinions are those of the individual posters and independent of the actress.

Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Diva. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. Guests are invited to sign the guestbook while vising the board. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

The Pulse - Melissa Ethridge

Strasser tweets on 1 year anniversary of Pulse night club murders: LIGHT A CANDLE-say a prayer-Whatever
you do, please take the time to remember the good people lost to the devastation and horror of hate!

Strasser: "...I'm 100% certain 99% of my 17.2 (twitter followers) are #BetteDavisFans"

FEATURED VIDEOS:

"ROBIN STRASSER - One Life to Live - Clip#2 1983"
"ROBIN STRASSER - OLTL - Dorian's Temper"

One Life Many Voices Sample Tracks

READ: Turning Leaves v3 + Lady in Red Short Stories
Unsavory Alliances + Make It REAL (Give Me Your Heart)

Celebrating 10 YEARS of DIVA.... On Twitter, Strasser announces home purchase; she keeps a home NYC, will be bi-coastal.... Prospect Park Lawsuit Dismissed... ABC Regains Rights to Canceled OLTL and AMC...Strasser Sells THOUSAND OAKS, CA Home... Currently residing in New York... A We LOVE Soaps special series: READ the story of AW's Steve, Rachel and Alice... The DIVA Board Salutes ROBIN STRASSER for her 50 YEARS in Daytime.... Strasser on 1.19.15: If being truthful means loss of friends or opp to spin I'll keep telling it straight-NO net-this is how birds fly:)... VISIT the My Big Fat Unasked For Opinion page on the "Official Website of Robin Strasser" .... Robin offers some marvelous inexpensive beauty tips.... Check it OUT!!! ... DIVA board GUESTS are invited to sign in: "GUESTBOOK"... FOLLOW Robin on TWITTER, call ROBIN's HOTLINE: 212-414-5300... Brilliant & Intimate: The Robin Strasser Official Website: "www.robinstrasser.net"... Read latest "FAN TALK interview"... Also, READ fan fictions "Make It Real" (Dorian/Ray), "The World They Never Saw" (Dorian, Addie and Melinda fan fiction) and "Unsavory Alliances" (Herb, Dorian, Mel).

Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Image hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by Photobucket

Off-TOPIC THREAD: The Beauty of a Great Story, escape and entertainment
rileyanne
Posted: May 16 2010, 12:52 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,458

This thread is devoted to off-topic discussions related to "escape and entertianment." It can be OLTL-related but it doesn't have to be.

I just came from seeing a lovely little film called "Letters to Juliet." Oh, it was like reliving my Italian adventure last summer --I will go back. Tuscany is such a spirited and spiritual canvas that it evokes romance and a longing to return. Goey movies and wine, also, can make a person write silly nonsense --but there it is.

The movie was part scenic wonder, part romance and part longing. It featured one of the most amazing actresses on this planet. Vanessa Redgrave is such a beautiful woman --no damn surgery and she just outshines those who plasticize their faces. Her beauty so reminds me of RS and Mirren and Streep and others who are just luminous and true to nature. She becomes the role and her soft-spoken manner is such fun.

This movie was not Shakespeare, not an original story, but it made me smile --I expected it to do just that--just like Young Victoria did, Alice in Wonderland, any Harry Potter movie, Under the Tuscan Sun, and soon Sex in the City 2. It was like a breathe of fresh air, it was fun. when was the last time we could say that about OLTL? For me, a year ago.

I thought this thread could be one where, perhaps off topic at times, but where we could talk about movies or books or a song or anything that inspires and we could relate it to what we would like to see on the show for our favorite. Or just to share escapist fun and entertainment. The latest movie or tv show or cd or book or fashion or whatever.

My fear is that OLTL is done with telling stories for the best and have sold their collective souls to the souless youth movement --which will, in the end, terminate the show and my willingness to watch such dreck. Frons and and his team have all but destroyed ABC Daytime. I am positive these young actors try hard and are great people --but --I want adult entertainment, adult situations, adult romance, adult stories, adults --I want people who've got it going on --not the romper room.

I have not and will not watch this musical --and three days of this!!!!!! (if I want to see a musical, I will go to the theatre to see professionals and not CHILDREN AND THEIR BORING ANGST). If they make the wise decision to finally give my favorite character a story and a romance and treat her fans with respect, I will watch--until that happens --I will spend that hour happily otherwise engaged. They need us, not the other way around.

So, on that idea and note --I thought we could share entertainment notes here or even if the show was worthwhile or talk good spoilers.

If anyone gets the chance "Lettters to Juliet" other than the crappy countrified music sections was fabulous fun. I would always recommend "Under the Tuscan Sun" and oddly enough, I enjoyed "Avatar." Another sweet show --from a children's novel by Neil Gaiman "Coraline" was a tremendous film (animated). See, I like youthful stories when told beautifully and does not annoy in over-exposure.
cher62
Posted: May 16 2010, 10:35 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Great idea! I like the thread. Will post soon.

--------------------
"I've worked with many a fine actress in the course of my journey, but none more remarkable than Ms. Strasser. Brilliant and utterly brave, with the work ethic of a warrior. I would love to come back and work with her again." - A Martinez, OLTL Examiner, 12/09
cher62
Posted: May 16 2010, 02:57 PM

Administrator

I'll check those out rileyanne. Let you know what I think. I do admire Redgrave and would see the movie just because she's in it. I would venture to guess most folks here like strong women and watching them in cinema. Your mention of Sex in the City (because of Cynthia Nixon), brought to mind this article I just read online in Newsweek.
Ramin Setoodeh wrote an article for Newsweek last month that drew fire because he suggested gay actors can't play straight characters. He gave examples of Sean Hayes (Jack, Will & Grace) in Promises, Promises, a musical-romantic comedy where the character he plays, Chuck, is madly in love with a co-worker (Kristin Chenoweth). He said part of the problem is performance delivery by Sean Hayes, an open homosexual. He also criticized Jonathan Groff of Glee. Frankly, isn't it up to the actor to convince an audience that they are involved in a romance through portrayal. And it is often times subjective. Rock Hudson, Tab Hunter and a few others were mostly convincing to me because of the acting. A bad actor is a bad actor, even one who is gay. The acting is at fault not so much one's sexual preference. The actor is supposed to transform into the moment with the co-lead, right? As with any performer, some can pull off the demands of the performance, some can't. I thought it was an interesting article.
rileyanne
Posted: May 16 2010, 03:28 PM

That was an interesting article. I suppose guarding one's privacy can help an audience's perception --like with Polanski --he raped a child and he may be a great director, but I have a hard time justifying going and spending money on one of his films --but that is clearly different from sexuality.

It is about performance. Performance more than perception. Who thought certain actresses could do drama or a that actor could do comedy. Make me believe it --that is an actor's job.

I think, other than the Taylor Swift-like songs, Letters to Juliet is enjoyable. It was about a woman who like so many others left a letter to juliet and an American girl with her own romantic issues responds. Redgrave's character at 15 left the man she loved because she was afraid and now some 50 years later they (her grandson and the American girl, Sophie, and Redgrave) try to find him. It is about taking a chance on love.

--------------------
user posted image

"I see Dorian as barely suppressed rage. She is fire and ice. She is a knockout. She is like Evita, but thinks she is Jackie O. She is like Anne Boleyn who can cause a man to dismantle a church, but next want her to lose her head." - Rileyanne, 11.24.09
Rocquie
Posted: May 18 2010, 06:27 PM

Member No.: 3,456

I am so glad you started this thread rileyanne. I have been very curious about this movie but concerned about wasting my money b/c of the "cheese" factor. However, b/c of Vanessa Redgrave, i was going to see it regardless. Your assessment of it has me convinced I will love it!

Speaking of Italy, I have only been to Rome and my BF and I were trying to plan a summer jaunt to various cities in Italy. It's a bit expensive right now and we're not sure we can swing it. However, after watching "Summertime" on TCM last night (with Katherine Hepburn) I am on a one-woman mission to find us a reasonable package!

Can't wait to see "Letters to Juliet!" Thanks for posting!

Coincidentally enough, I may watch Avatar on Demand tonight b/c I am the only person I know who has NOT seen it!
rileyanne
Posted: May 19 2010, 08:41 PM

Ah "Summertime" I love that film. I have it on my dvr. The first time I went to Italy was because of a film --it was Only You with Marisa Tormei. I love Italy. I need to learn Italian. Italy is happiness.

--------------------
user posted image

"I see Dorian as barely suppressed rage. She is fire and ice. She is a knockout. She is like Evita, but thinks she is Jackie O. She is like Anne Boleyn who can cause a man to dismantle a church, but next want her to lose her head." - Rileyanne, 11.24.09
rileyanne
Posted: May 23 2010, 11:24 AM

Pac man people! I just bought an app for my ipad and had a blast playing that game. Such fun. If you want a blast from the past and mindless and pure fun--play Pac man!

Fun shows to watch--Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I downloaded seasons one and two and have started to rewatch. From the beginning this was a blast. If you are looking for adventure, mystery, a bit of horror, great humor, friendships and love and sacrifice --this is your show. I love it.

Also, House Hunters International on home and garden network --and Selling New York --fun locales, cool homes or apartments.

Loving the ipad--did not get the 3G version. I do not know if any of you have Kindle or Nook, but they have an ibooks to download novels -I am not sure if I like the idea of not having a hard copy, but I bought a couple. This might be fun.

--------------------
user posted image

cher62
Posted: May 23 2010, 04:31 PM

Administrator

Sounds like fun! Did you compare the iPad with the iPhone?
rileyanne
Posted: May 23 2010, 05:03 PM

No, I have a blackberry from Verizon and love my service so no way was I switching. Problems is itunes in its newest version is a constant problem for me. If I buy something on the ipad, trasnferring it to computer is impossible right now. I downloaded the Buffy episodes to the ipad and I cannot transfer it or anything I have bough to the computer. They need a new version of itunes.

--------------------
user posted image

rileyanne
Posted: May 31 2010, 11:09 PM

I just finished watching the movie "Eva Peron" which was the 1996 Argentine entry for best foreign language film in the Academy Awards starring Esther Goris. It was fabulous. The political intrigue, the brilliant performance by the lead, the clothes, the use of archive films, etc. It takes place at the end of her life with scenes from her past and how it helped form her. She was great telling the rail strikers to stop and go back to work. Loved watching her with the poor and speaking. Fun film, in Spanish with subtitles.

What a shame that this foolish show did not utilize this type of intrigue for the mayor stuff. Absolute waste of great actors.

--------------------
user posted image

rileyanne
Posted: Jun 1 2010, 04:01 PM

I have to rave a little more about this movie. (I suspect I may be the one using this thread the most) I love historical figures like Eva Peron and when a movie can bring this person to life in a very real way --that is great entertainment.

This was one of those films where the characters were rich with personality and purpose, the dialogue was rich and the performances wonderful. Even all the smaller roles with only a few scenes were alive. How often do we get treated on OLTL to this type of combination? Never. Somewhere along the line there is a missing ingredient --dialogue, performance, plot, costume, motivation, etc.

There was a particular scene where Evita was having a "conversation" with members of the oligarchy which, in the scene, was made up of three older and clearly wealthy women. It was in regard to who would run the national charity. This was one of the best parts of the show --Eva was part machiavelli, part guttersnipe as she played cat with these mice. Instead of being trashy or Jerry Springer with their disrespect and disdain (which some may argue was part of their breeding and, well, maybe deserved) she was coy, smart, arrogant and cracked her whip by disolving the charity in favor of her own.

Where are the meaningful scenes now, not the plot point scenes?

In many ways that scene, I guess, is like how all (really) view Dorian. This scene sort of resembles so many scenes Dorian has with everyone especially a Viki or Nora. Evita triumphed using her savvy; why can't the same be true for this soap character? Why are these writers incapable of such rich dialogue and situations. Those wealthy Argentine women never expected to be trumped by this woman and in the universe of OLTL neither does Viki or a Nora or any of the other oligarch types. A lasting and meaningful WIN for Dorian would be a surprise.

If they want to be edgy, how about some smarts for their characters over camp?

Anyway, amazing performances and great intrigue from this foreign film.

--------------------
user posted image

cher62
Posted: Jun 1 2010, 05:55 PM

Administrator

Did you rent it or was it on one of the cable movie channels?

--------------------
"I've worked with many a fine actress in the course of my journey, but none more remarkable than Ms. Strasser. Brilliant and utterly brave, with the work ethic of a warrior. I would love to come back and work with her again." - A Martinez, OLTL Examiner, 12/09
rileyanne
Posted: Jun 1 2010, 05:56 PM

I downloaded it from amazon.com!

--------------------
user posted image

cher62
Posted: Jun 1 2010, 06:09 PM

Administrator

Cool. I'll download it and tell you what I think.

--------------------
rileyanne
Posted: Jun 3 2010, 09:39 PM

Classic movie to watch? Well, why not Gone with the Wind?

Our favorite character is so like Scarlett. The scene where Scarlett is dressed in that gorgeous red number (it was green in the book) and Rhett forced her to attend Ashley's B-day party and she just stands there looking defiant and beautiful is awesome and hell how often has Dorian replayed that scene --everyone disapproving and staring knives at her.

This movie was more a favorite of mine as a high schooler than now, but there are certain scenes that always are worth catching. The above mentioned, the curtain dress scene, the auction, the Ashley slap, Rhett telling her she was no lady, getting caught hugging Ashley, Rhett leaving, etc.

Great movie.

--------------------
user posted image

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free

Image hosting by PhotobucketPages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Image hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by Photobucket

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0447 seconds · Archive
<
Find out re: "CHARITIES" supported by Robin Strasser. For music videos, episodes of Robin as Dorian, tributes, special appearances & video playlists, visit the "DIVA Gallery"
The Latest News
FEATURE of the Month
50 YEARS - A Lifetime Achievement

CLICK on image to find out why CAREER deserves EMMY recognition.

(Glide cursor over the scroll for PAUSE)

WEB ADDRESS for the DIVA board is:

rsdiva.com. Spread the WORD!!!!

OLMV benefits FINE ARTS in New Orleans. GO Here:

IN THE SPOTLIGHT:

"Baby M Movie"

CLICK below:

SUPPORT Robin Strasser. Visit the Diva for LIFE! page. GO HERE:

WATCH the mvid: "Bird on a Wire," in the Video Archives.

CLICK BELOW:

Call Robin's HOTLINE: (212) 414-5300 and follow her on TWITTER.

On 9.27.14 Walk of Fame was updated.
Click on the picture:

DON'T FORGET to SUPPORT Robin with her latest projects.

SITE of the Month
The DIVA's site of the month is:
Robin Strasser on TWITTER

Click on image. Follow Strasser.
Photo above by Steven Bergman.
">CELEBRATING 10 YEARS of DIVA